blog backbdrop

Sunday 15 May 2022

Gothic Book Box


I have finally finished my gothic book box which has been a work in progress project and I'm really pleased with how this one turned out.



All the inspiration for this project was taken from Sue Andrews - Magik Graphics mixed media live Facebook group.

I chose this beautiful image of the Midnight Roses CD by Magik Graphics, which decided the colourways for my box.



I used Pebeo high density modeling paste through one of Stamperia's stencils.  This texture paste is nice and smooth and leaves a great defined texture to your project but I would have preferred it in a jar rather than in a tube. It did dry pretty quickly but as I'm a slow crafter I normally leave things to dry overnight anyway.


The book box was given a coating of black gesso except for the inner edges which I painted in buff acrylic paint to look like pages, adding some texture to mimic the edges of the pages. My new favourite paint is the Finnibair metallics range. It's difficult to capture the true colour and shimmer in a picture but for this project, I picked plum, which was the closest to the colours in the image.  I dry brushed the colour, leaving some of the black to show through.

I think the gilding wax always finishes a project off and really highlights all that texture on your project.  I also used the alchemy tag moulds by Stamperia to create the tag and some of the embellishments for my box using air dried clay.

I knew those broken chains that I kept would come in handy one day. Attached to one of the tags that I had made, it was a perfect hanging embellishment. This was attached with a little leatherette cord, inside the top of the box. This is why as crafters we keep all these random little bits and pieces.

I can get a  bit carried away when I have a pot of gilding wax in my hands. Even the brass butterfly and key had touch of wax to lift them and the rose paper flower just didn't look right with its green stem, so that had to go too.

This now sits in my bedroom.  I don't keep many things that I make as I am so used to making for others and a lot of my own craft projects tend to sit on the back burner with the garden ones being the ones that do eventually get finished as that is where I tend to spend a lot of time.

As I am stepping away from making as many cards now, I'm hoping to focus more on some mixed media projects

Have a great day, whatever you have planned for yourself
Happy crafting






added to:  The River of Creativity Challenge  (Shoutout for May challenge)



9 comments:

Chris said...

A beautiful work of art Michelle, not surprised you've decided to keep this!
xx

crafty-stamper said...

Absolutely stunning project Michelle,love the image and all the stencilled texture-the gold against the black is brilliant and love the tag and embellishments---these little things certainly come in handy lol
Carol x

crafty-stamper said...

Meant to say this would be perfect to link up to the River of Creativity challenge and no wonder you are keeping it!
Carol x

https://shinebrightandcreate@blogspot.com/ said...

Thanks very much ladies and thanks for the information Carol x

brenda said...

This is really fabulous, it looks so tactile and in very striking colours, many thanks for joining us at River of Creativity May challenge.

B x

Valerie-Jael said...

Oooooh, Michelle, this is wonderful, so many gorgeous details. Ad yes, we NEED to keep all those bits and pieces that others throw away! Have a great week, hugs, Valerie

Christi Conley said...

I LOVE this!! Such a fantastic use of so many things - the book, al the goodies you saved from the trash - and gothic is one of my favorite thees!!It is stunning! Thanks SO much for joining us at River of Creativity! Christi DT

pinky said...

Wow that is so gorgeous. I love the added gilded wax and know I have some somewhere but NEVER use it! You have inspired me Michelle.

https://shinebrightandcreate@blogspot.com/ said...

Thanks so much for your lovely comments everyone xx

Bookmark/Tags WOYWW #778

I've  been finishing off some tag/bookmarks this week and I do like a bookmark. I also wanted to use these cool digi images from Polkado...