blog backbdrop

Wednesday 24 April 2024

WOYWW #777

Happy 'What's on Your desk Wednesday!'  WOYWW
This is my first contribution to the blog, that I came across the other day, so I thought I'd give it a go.


I craft at my kitchen table - its a good space with plenty of natural light and I just bring down what I need to craft with, which is normally in a draw or box that I can just stick on the table or floor. My mess is kept at the end of the table which is big enough....sometimes ha ha.

So, I decided to make a gothic arch for an ethereal Spring challenge on Gecko Galz this month. I die cut my arch from card to make a substrate and then  gave it a coat of gesso.



With a small pallet knife, I scrapped  some sand texture paste across my arch. Then  I mixed a little acrylic paint and kept dabbing until my arch started looking a bit aged and rusty, drying in between the layers.

I then dry brushed with some grey acrylic paint - well gesso mixed with some black acrylic to dull it down a little. 

Next it got a spritz of frozen  toffee pretty pearl spray and then I edged the arch with rose gold wax. I was quite happy with how it turned out and told myself that i could leave it alone now!

I want a transparent background on my arch, so I think I will find some rice paper in my draw to stick on the back of my arch.

I had made a batch of my cogs up a while ago. They were die cut from soup carton packaging and then I'd added some sand mixed into my acrylic paint. They were finally edged in copper wax.


I have a fairy image which will be my focal piece for my project and I'll then start adding all my embellishments.

I'm quite a slow crafter and some projects can take me a while to finish but hopefully I will crack on to finish this little one off.


Where I sit is also perfect for me to look into my garden, the other place I prefer to spend my time. It's small and wildlife friendly and a lot easier for me to tend to these days - a haven for me.


We've got some robins nesting in our bird box again this year so hopefully we'll see them fledge in May, which is a lovely sight.

Have a great day,  whatever you have planned for yourself 







14 comments:

Neet said...

Love your arch, it certainly does look old and rusty. All that work has certainly paid off for you and I look forward to seeing the project it is to be used on in the near future. Sounds a lovely project you have in mind
Hugs, Neet 13 xx

crafty-stamper said...

WOW if you had't put a description and just put pics-your arch and cogs actually look like rusty metal-amazing.Love your wildlife garden and hope we can see some pics of the robins.We found two dead in our garden last year and the poor cats got the blame,but when I picked them up someone had actually shot them!!!!!
Carol x

My name is Cindy said...

Hi Michelle, what a super project you have posted. Reminds me I meant to pic k up some texture medium!! I love your garden as well, looks very pretty. Have a great week, love n hugs Cindyxx #15

Annie said...

Welcome to the gang....It's such a friendly place. I love all the things you've shared....I really thought they were metal.
Hugs,
Annie x #6

Helen said...

Welcome ! Love the arch , and your garden looks beautiful. Helen #1

Valerie-Jael said...

Fabulous, love the rusty bits. My kitchen table is now 99% full of junk.... Help! Hugs, Valerie

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Michelle, it's great to meet you. I am loving the gothic arch and look forward to seeing how this develops so you simply must join us again. I popped down your blog too and can see you make some lovely cards. Thanks for ther lovely comment over at mine too. Have a great woyww and hope to see you around again. Hugs Angela x8x

Twiglet said...

Good to see you on our WOYWW blog space. Your arch is fab - I love how you folks do wonderful things with multi media. 😃

Sarah Brennan said...

Welcome Michelle good to see you here. Loving the arch and the pretty garden you have. Stay safe and happy WOYWW. Sarah #2

Lindart said...

Welcome! I LOVE the arch, and your plans for it, and also the pile of gears, awesome! Looking forward to seeing them both finished! You garden is looking lovely, very "springy"! Have a lovely week, Lindart #17

BJ said...

Hi Michelle thanks for your comment on my last week's blog I tried to link to you from there but my computer just wasn't doing it as it kept just going back to me own page???? So glad you have joined in the "party" here at Julia's so I can now have a nose around your desk too. Firstly your garden is delightful, I'm up in my bedroom so not quite the same up here. Those cogs look real as does the arch, amazing what you have done there. I have entered the Gecko Galz steampunk challenge this month - first time so I didn't get my name on my entry just my blog title - oops. Anyway hope you enjoy having a wander around the desks and welcome to our weekly window into craft spaces. Hugs BJ#11

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

That arch is so realistic and so beautiful Michelle. I look forward to seeing what becomes of it. x

Spyder said...

I had a robin nesting in a planter that was in my up ended boat one year, and some blackbirds nesting in a box on a shelf in the garage! You should've heard the noise if we tried to close the door...they had five babies and we made sure they all survived. I love your rusty window, I spotted it in the post above. Definitely going to have a go, have tried something like it before, but it's nice to be reminded! Thank you for your visit and thank you too, for following, since covide I've lost over a hundred followers, and on checking, most blogs have 'disappeared' while others have just stopped blogging. Probably why WOYWW doesn't have the hundred 'joining inners', it used to have. So! Welcome to WOYWW!? hope to see you every week! ((Lyn)) Happy WOYWW!?#18

Crafting With Jack said...

Welcome to WOYWW. Your arch is lovely and I look forward to see the prograde your project. I love the idea of a little wilderness in your garden. I have a little wood in my garden, it only consists of 2 Acers and a couple of other shrubs. The ground is covered with bark and there are odd bits of tree stump and logs. At the moment there are wild violets everywhere.. The bindweed is a problem that is persistent, but I try to stay on top of it. Happy WOYWW. Angela # 12

Bookmark/Tags WOYWW #778

I've  been finishing off some tag/bookmarks this week and I do like a bookmark. I also wanted to use these cool digi images from Polkado...