blog backbdrop

Thursday 25 April 2024

Gothic Fairy Arch

I've finished my Gothic fairy arch and have a few pictures to share with you and I'm also going to add it to one of the monthly challenges at Gecko Galz.


To begin with I die cut my arch from card to make a substrate and then  gave it a coat of gesso. 

I used the Pretty Gothic Window A5 die from Pretty Gets Gritty. They do some really cool dies that are great for making your substrates for projects.


With a small pallet knife, I scrapped  some sand texture paste across my arch. Then  I mixed a little acrylic paint and kept dabbing until my arch started looking a bit aged and rusty, drying in between the layers.

I then dry brushed with some grey acrylic paint - well gesso mixed with some black acrylic to dull it down a little. 

Next it got a spritz of frozen  toffee pretty pearl spray and then I edged the arch with rose gold wax. I was quite happy with how it turned out and told myself that i could leave it alone now!


I went on a search for some rice paper as I wanted the background of the arch to be transparent and found a leftover piece from one of my cardmaking projects that I had printed off.

I had also made a batch of cogs up a while ago. They were die cut from soup carton packaging and then I'd added some sand mixed into my acrylic paint. They were finally edged in copper wax.


The pearl spray has highlighted the texture in the arch a lot more and I then started to add some texture to the edges of my fairy image too, using a little coloured sand texture paste and seed beads.


I chose an image from the Gecko Galz Pixie Dream land Kit for the focal point of my gothic arch. These are really lovely images and I was spoilt for choice.  I also added a few butterflies from their Butterfly Wings Digital Collage Set too.

My paper flowers have also been edged with a little metallic gold paint and the tiny translucent flowers have  micro beads in their centres. I also thought that the wording was very apt for my project.

This was a fun little project to make.
What have you got planned for the day? Whatever it is, I hope it is a good one for you.


Challenges












9 comments:

crafty-stamper said...

WOW absolutely amazing Michelle,looks brilliant finished,love the background,beautiful Vintage image and flowers you added.
Carol x

Spyder said...

What a beautiful window, it really look rusty! I might have a good using my birdcage die, thank you for the inspiration!!
((Lyn))

Cheryl W. said...

This is incredible! I am in awe of how you are able to make some cardstock look like old, rusted ironwork.

KarinsArtScrap said...

fabulousssss Michelle.....gr karin

ScrappyHorses said...

Wow, this is lovely! Beautiful flowers, textures, and that arch is gorgeous!! So happy you shared with us at Path of Positivity! Katrina

ScrappyHorses said...

This lovely project would be perfect over at Anything Goes in a Card Free Zone! Here's the link if you would like to play along; our theme is always optional. https://theoutlawzchallenges-saturday.blogspot.com/2024/04/the-outlawz-anything-goes-in-card-free.html

Judy McKay said...

Lovely mixed media project. The design and details are wonderful. The texture of the frame is perfect. Thank you for joining us at Crafty Gals Corner this month. Hope to see you back here again soon. Judy DT

Sari / Granne said...

Your arch is amazing, the texture is perfect, image so beautiful and so many lovely details to look at. Thank you for joining us at the Crafts Galore Encore Challenge.

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

OOoooh Michelle that rusty finish is tremendous so realistic beautiful build up of elements, the cogs, flowers and butterflies sit so lovely around your chosen focal image, she is stunning. So creative in design and a grand display of attention to detail in relation to your mixed of differing media.
Thank you for joining our April AMMG challenge @ Creative Artiste.
Happy crafting Tracey (DT)

Bookmark/Tags WOYWW #778

I've  been finishing off some tag/bookmarks this week and I do like a bookmark. I also wanted to use these cool digi images from Polkado...