blog backbdrop

Wednesday, 9 September 2026

Decorated MDF Gift Boxes

I had a few small MDF gift boxes sitting in my craft box for a long time, waiting to be decorated, so I thought it was time to use them.


For the front of the boxes, I used the dragon images from The Dragon Breathing Courage & Creativity digital download collection by Opulence by Design Crafts.  
 
I use a Canon Mega Tank inkjet printer to print these images onto rice paper, and I also used it on the base of my boxes with the dragon skin design from the same collection. It's one of my fav papers as I love the faux texture for my boxes.

My decorated dragon box can be found here from a previous blog post.


Lidl offer a cracking selection of art products from time to time. I bought a set of metallic paints by CreaBox a year ago, and unfortunately, I have used the last of the metallic green from this set, which you can see on the book box trays. It has obviously been a favourite colour of mine.

These little boxes came as a set of 3 from The Works, but I had to throw the smallest one away as it was so badly split on closer examination; it just wasn't worth decorating. As suggested to me, I will look out for boxes in charity shops or just look for better quality ones.



For some added texture around the edges of the book boxes, I used a touch of Pretty Gets Gritty's mousse in Sea Glass.


Apparently, these drawers are just the right size for a collection of mini figures. 
I just added some glossy accents to the top of the boxes to finish them off.


For my second project, I found a nice little MDF Treasure chest in Hobbycraft that would work well with the fairy image that I had intended to use.


I chose the Fairy Wishes & Pixie Kisses 8 x5 inch PDF Petra print from Opulence by Design Crafts for the lid of the chest. It's a beautiful digital download that is also available as a one sheet wonder greeting card. The treasure chest has also been given a light coat of white gesso to help highlight the rice paper image.

On the sides, I have used A Spectrum of colour Script paper pack. This is such a versatile digital download kit to have in your crafty stash.


I painted the inside of the chest and base with a blue Metallic pearl acrylic paint.


This little girl loves fairies, so I thought a little treasure chest would be ideal.


I've edged the lid of the box with gold wax



I also had these shapes in my MDF box and thought that a hanging fairy plaque would make a nice addition.


I've added braid to the edge of the hanging plaque, and the hanging mdf fairy has been heat embossed with ice blue embossing powder.

These were fun little projects to make and have already gone off to their new home.
Thanks for stopping by today to view my little crafty space.

Opulence by Design Crafts has a fantastic variety of digital download kits for your crafty needs, along with a mini blog for inspiration. They also have a variety of crafting booklets for those who can not print their crafty designs.


No comments:

Decorated MDF Gift Boxes

I had a few small MDF gift boxes sitting in my craft box for a long time, waiting to be decorated, so I thought it was time to use them. For...