blog backbdrop

Saturday 11 February 2023

Steampunk Box

I have finally finished another project from last year and I can now put my Steampunk themed box to some use.


The wooden box itself came from The Works, they have a great selection of boxes to craft with and often have various sizes on offer, which is a good time to buy them. They are pretty decent quality for a lightweight box too.


I love LOVE steampunk! There is so much inspiration from Stamperia for their Captain Vagabond collections, sometimes you don't know where to start yourself but I absolutely love this image on one of their rice papers that I have used to cover my box. I haven't gone over top with the decoration because I loved the rice paper too much.



I made the cogs last year after watching a great craft live from Leonie Pujol. She is an amazing inspirational artist. So, I cut up my cardboard soup packaging ready to die cut my cogs and mixed a little sand into my gesso for an uneven gritty texture. 


I didn't have any rust paint so I found a set of mini acrylic paints in a box that my son had left (I think they were from The Works) just perfect for mixing small amounts of paint and when dry I added the copper wax which finished them off nicely. I was really happy with how they turned out.


I used some of the plastic embellishments from the Captain Vagabond collection to decorate the box but used the rice papers all around and edged the box in white gold wax.


After I had varnished the box, I noticed 2 large drips at the back which had dried hard which I really liked, so I added a little white gold wax to highlight them even more. If I had tried to create these, you can bet it would have gone wrong.


I kept the inside quite simple by painting it in a neutral colour with just that striking rice paper design down the centre.


The glossy accent on Sir Vagabonds' glasses worked very well and I used crackle gel on the clock lens on his hat.  I feel the need to do another box now! I love mixed media and really don't do enough of it.

If you're crafting, what's on your craft table today? Have a great day whatever you have planned for yourself

Happy crafting



Challenges
Mix it Up - ATG no stamping
Crafts Galore Encore - ATG  (Design Team Favourite)


15 comments:

crafty-stamper said...

WOW your box is absolutely amazing,I love the rice paper and fabulous Steampunk images,the cogs look brilliant, so realistic and great tip about sand in the gesso! What a brilliant result with the glossy accents on those glasses!!!
Carol x

Chris said...

Fantastic box Michelle! I do love a bit of Steampunk and this looks amazing!
xx

Valerie-Jael said...

Amazing! You have rovked steam punk here, fantastic! Have a great weekend, hugs, Valerie

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Stunning work Michelle, I love how you have creatively put this together. The cogs look real! Every detail is spot on. WOWZER.
Faith x

Loose Stitches said...

Oh my goodness Michelle, WOW, that is so totally AWESOME!
Crafty Hugs, Sherry xx
Loose Stitches and Unraveled Threads

ScrappyHorses said...

Wow, how creative is this! This would be wonderful over at Paper à la Mode Challenge! The February theme is 'I Love...' and we are AG except Greeting Cards! So this project would be perfect! If you'd like to play along, you may join us here: https://theoutlawzchallenges-saturday.blogspot.com/2023/02/the-outlawz-saturday-paper-la-mode.html

Donna Ellis said...

This is really awesome! Love the texture on his goggles! I DEFINITELY expect to see a hot air balloon or stunt plane with these details! It's really beautiful, Michelle.
Psst! I am your 43rd google follower!
Crafting Smiles,
Donna
{Creative Smiles - my little crafting world}

Sandra said...

This is amazing!!! Thanks for playing in The Outlawz PAM challenge!!

Becca Sadler said...

Michelle: This is a fantastic project!! What a steampunk masterpiece! Well done! Thanks for sharing at Mix It Up! --Becca/DT

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

It's a wonderful feeling when we finish a project that's been left waiting for a while and what an amazing job you did. You brought all those mediums together and created a superb mixed media project. I agree wholeheartedly Stamperia are so inspirational, beautifully executed, you must be so proud.
Thank you for sharing over @ Creative Artiste's #90 Challenge.
Best wishes Tracey DT

https://shinebrightandcreate@blogspot.com/ said...

Thanks very much for your lovely comments x

valscraftings said...

Oh wow…awesome…love your steampunk box!

Thank you for joining us at PAM Challenges!
Val - DT

Dagmara Gorczyńska said...

Wow, it's gorgeous! I love the steampunk look and how you embellished the box!

Thank you for joining us at the Crafts Galore Encore Challenge.
~ DT Dagmara

Angela said...

Love your Steampunk Box, it is stunning. You did an amazing job with those cogs, you would swear they were metal. Angela xoxo

Hi! I'm Shirley and said...

Awesome! Thank you for sharing your creation with us at the Outlawz Paper A La Mode Challenges. Shirley M., DT.

Easter Cards

I have a few Easter cards that I'm sharing today and I've been using the Signature Series Digital Florist Everything Anemone Cardmak...