blog backbdrop

Tuesday 5 March 2024

Ice Queen Poppies

I'm sharing two little cards that I have finished and these beautiful poppies that I have used on both of my cards are for different occasions.

First, I made a sympathy card  with a few handmade white poppies, poppy heads and some variegated ivy leaves.


For the card base, I used the dainty trellis die set from one of Tattered Lace's retired collections.  Between the white card base and lattice layer, I added a die cut piece of white vellum.


I used the Digital Florist Ice Queen Poppy print, cut and form set with 2 colour plain sheets, by Opulence by Design Crafts to make my flowers. These flowers are so very pretty just as they are.  I just enjoy to add dimension to my blooms.

On this card I have just cut into the petals and layered 3 flowers up to add some dimension and then finished them off with some diamond Stickles glitter glue in the centres.


I have also added a few of the Variegated Ivy leaves and 2 of the Digital Florist Poppy Heads  (which have been reduced in size), also from Opulence by Design Crafts

Finally, I've edged my card with a clear sparkle overlay pen, for a touch of shimmer.
Sympathy cards are not easy cards to make and although this one wasn't made for a significant time, I thought the white poppies would suit this theme well.


My second card is a birthday card and I've used the retired Fresco collection by Tattered Lace for my card base and to build up the layers to use the papers that came with the poppy download. I really like hues of green that come in these downloads sets, as I find I can match up my colours a lot easier and I never run out. The right shade of green card can be hard to find sometimes.

For my flowers I have just cut into the flower where you can see it is shaped and gently given the flower some shape. For the second and third layer of the poppy, I have simply given it a little bit of shape before sticking them together.


It isn't visible in the picture, but I have added a little shimmer to the centres of my blooms and the edges with a Sprectrum Noir clear sparkle overlay pen. These poppies have just a sheer hint of pink in the petals and I think that the shimmer just highlights the flowers.

I have also used the Poppy Leaf Fussy cut set also by Opulence by Design Crafts. You can print the pale green paper from the poppy download on the back of your poppy leaf sheet if you would like your leaves to have colour on the reverse side when you cut them out, or just simply ink them. You don't have to be too precise cutting them out, I just went over the edges with a little ink which adds some tone to them anyway.

I have also added a few of the variegated ivy leaves and poppy heads too on my card and downsized the poppy heads for my projects. Using a gelly roll stardust pen I have outlined the variegated ivy leaves and the tips of the poppy heads, which again isn't visible in the picture but I just like adding that fine detail to catch your eye.

Also, I don't worry about adding a sentiment to the front of my cards if I don't have a suitable place for one. It can be handy sometimes as some recipients like to display their cards past the occasion that it was sent.

If you would like to check out Amanda's YouTube Channel for cardmaking, flower making and inspirational craft videos  you can find her gallery here or even follow on Instagram:  
Flower making has always been one of my favourite things.


12 comments:

crafty-stamper said...

Both fabulous cards Michelle,love the beautiful poppies and die-cuts.
Carol x

Helen said...

Beautiful - those flowers are so pretty.

Thanks for joining the Krafty Chicks Challenge.

Helen x
(Guest Chick)

Seafield Jo said...

These are both beautiful cards, the poppies are so lovely. I'm sure both the recipients with love them.
Thanks for sharing with us.
Jo x
CD Sunday Plus DT

KarinsArtScrap said...

very beautiful cards Michelle.....gr karin

Carol said...

Beautiful poppies. They remind me of similar flowers in a Carnation Crafts die set I recently bought. But you cut yours out which is much more impressive that die-cutting.
Carol xx
CD Sunday Plus DT

Aimeslee Winans said...

Gorgeous layered poppies, they make the cards so special.
Thanks for sharing them with us at CD Sunday Plus!
XOX, Aimeslee DT

Pamela said...

Two lovely cards, the flowers really finish them off.
Pamela
CD Sunday Plus DT.

Deanna Mulder said...

Both your cards are beautiful bit the white one is my favorite. Love the elegance of it. Thanks for playing along with us at Let's Craft and Createe. Deanna DT

Mariann Jakobsen said...

OMG Theese two cards is WOW!!! I totally LOVE them both!! So elegant, specially the first one.

mamawcindy said...

Your cards are so beautiful. Love the poppies. Tried to pick a favorite. Too hard to choose. Hope you have a wonderful week. I'm sick with a cold.

https://shinebrightandcreate@blogspot.com/ said...

thanks so much for your lovely comments x

BJ said...

gorgeous poppies - BJ

Gothic Fairy Arch

I've finished my Gothic fairy arch and have a few pictures to share with you and I'm also going to add it to one of the monthly chal...