blog backbdrop

Friday 25 May 2018

Mixed Media Diary Cover

I am doing a guest DT over on A Inky Mess  this month and decided to use my diary cover for the  mixed media ATG challenge, which is just for fun.




 


 This is my A5 page a day diary that I use to put all my crafty commitments down and keep a log of my projects.  It seemed a little bare so I decided that it could do with a revamp.



First, I gave it a light covering of white gesso, giving it a mottled effect so that I could still see a little of the silver cover through it.



Then using a feather stencil out of my Deco stencil set by Craft sensations purchased at The Range, I used the lilac acrylic mousse by CreaBox.  I happened to see these in Lidl whilst shopping.  They are easy to apply and dry with a smooth chalky texture.






The texture mousse dries quite quickly but I did leave it overnight to dry and carried on with another project (this also stops me prodding it in eagerness to continue).  I used some Creative Expressions gilding wax on half the feather in Pewter to highlight the feathers a little and tone down all that lilac.  I also used some Dovecraft pearl effects that I had just to make a border of squiggles, for a bit more texture.



I still felt it needed something else, so added a little pearlescent mint mica powder, mixed with water and spritzed over the cover before rubbing it into the cover.  The mica powder does look a lot darker in the pot in the picture. It gave the book cover a minty background shimmer which I was a lot happier with.


 I downloaded these cute zombie owl digital images from Oddball Art by Lizzy Love.



 I coloured them with Tim Holtz distress oxides in seedless preserves and twisted citron, highlighting with peacock feathers, candied apple for the heart and antique linen for a hue of colour on the eyes.  I then added some glossy accent to the eyes and hearts.  For some more texture, I used some Tim Holtz stickles in clear rock candy.



 You can see the effect of the rock candy stickles on the zombie owl a lot clearer in this picture. I wanted the owls to look a little dishevelled.


I used pinflair glue gel to stick the owls down and cosmic shimmer glue for the rest of the embellishments. The cover was finished off with sequins, button die cuts and chipboard hearts.




 From the same set of stencils, I used the circles stencil and the pink chalky acrylic mousse on the back of the diary.


I kept the back quite simple adding some Craftwork Cards candi in gingham, glossy accent and a few die cuts.

Pop over to An Inky Mess and have a look at the great projects the design team have been making this month and have a go at entering the challenge which can be anything to do with mixed media.

Happy Crafting





2 comments:

crafty-stamper said...

Great transformation Michelle love the textured feathers -like the sound of the acrylic mousses-fabulous colouring on the owls and the back looks just as good --welcome to the team for your GDT month
Carol x

https://shinebrightandcreate@blogspot.com/ said...

Thanks very much Carol x

Bookmark/Tags WOYWW #778

I've  been finishing off some tag/bookmarks this week and I do like a bookmark. I also wanted to use these cool digi images from Polkado...