blog backbdrop

Tuesday 7 May 2024

WOYWW #779 Craft Journal Covers

 It's Wednesday and I'm taking part in another What's on your desk Wednesday - WOYWW #779. Please checkout Julia Dunnit's Stamping Ground's page  if you are interested.


I have been crafting for myself this week and I have been meaning to use these beautiful papers to re-cover my craft journal.


I had previously stripped back my A5 mdf journal covers, ready to start again. I gave them a coating of white gesso and printed the digital images in the size that I needed for my boards on 160gsm smooth white cardstock.

These beautiful images were created by Shasteya Bellarose & June Hill, who run a creative group on Facebook called Gud Karma Creative Studios. They have some fabulous created content that has been made available for free, to print off for personal use only.

I added a few coats of matte medium to seal the images and to also create a base to add my mediums to the covers.


This is my favourite image out of the ones that I decided to use, so it had to be the cover. I love these kind of images and I just added some stencilling through my script stencil and one of my worded stamps from Visible Image.

I've also highlighted areas of the image using my clear glaze and stardust glitter pens, adding a little dimension with some seed beads.

Around the edge of the journal cover, I added some sand texture paste  and then some Pretty Metallic paint in mint chip.

At the top of the folder I added a faux metal embellishment that I had made earlier using gold metal magic and stamped - strength.


On the reverse I chose this great saxophone image. I added a little background stamping and some more highlights with my pens, along with some sand texture paste along the saxophone which has been highlighted with rose gold metallic wax.

I had these little holographic pink flower sequins in my craft stash that I thought would work well and add more texture too.



This oriental image was another favourite of mine, so I put it on the back and I have a choice of two beautiful images on either side of my folder. 

I added some stencilling and another worded stamp from Visible Image, along with my sparkle pens and seed beads for dimension.

I edged the cover with gold metallic wax.


On the back of my second journal cover I used this really pretty music paper and added some second generation background stamping with a grey ink pad and a metallic one.

I also added some ephemera from my crafty stash, left over from some ATC's that I had been making a while ago.


My journal covers have had a facelift and that's another job off my list.


And in the other favourite place I love to spend my time, I am patiently awaiting our robins to fledge over the next few days. The parents have been very busy feeding and we have been so lucky that the box is in regular use.


This is the view out of my back door. I have an old table under the bike port where I do my potting - next to a little greenhouse,  It's really handy when it's wet and windy as I'm sheltered from the elements a little and I often have a little friend who is curious to know what I am doing.


I managed to quickly get a sneaky picture (it was pot luck really) whilst the parents were out getting food,  You can just about see one of the baby robins. Fingers crossed for them.

What have you got planned for the day? Whatever it is, I hope it is a good one for you.








20 comments:

Helen said...

Love your journal covers, what beautiful images you chose. Hope the baby robins learn to fly soon; how special to have them in view of your door. Happy WOYWW Helen #1

Sarah Brennan said...

Beautiful journal covers Michelle. Look forward to seeing more of the baby robins too. Stay safe and Happy WOYWW Sarah #3

Susan Renshaw said...

What lovely images and that is going to be a super journal! Happy WOYWW! Susan #4

BJ said...

Oh my word those images are amazing and love what you've done with them. Just asked to join the FB group, thanks for sharing. I've recently been made aware of Gecko Galz by a fellow WOYWWer and they have super images too. Love your robin, they are a gardener's friend aren't they, ours come so close it's amazing. Hugs BJ#5

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Michelle, great post. Love those papers they are gorgeous and hope the baby birds do well. Happy woyww, Angela x12x

Elizabeth said...

Hi Michelle, your finished journal covers are beautiful. The images are lovely. I hope your baby robins do well. The world needs more robins. Have a great week. Elizabeth x #9

My name is Cindy said...

Hi Michelle, nice to see you at WOYWW. Love your journal covers they are beautiful papers. Have a great week, love n hugs Cindyxx #11

Lisa-Jane said...

I adore your new covers! I love the artwork on it's own but you've really brought the images to life. Fingers crossed for the robins. We've not identified any nests this year but we usualy have a few robins hanging around and some have even got into the house! Enjoy the sunshine finally, Lisa-Jane #10 www.prettymypage.co.uk

Chris said...

You're re- covered journal is absolutely beautiful, such lovely images.
Good luck with the robins, we have a family of them nesting in the large shrub outside our patio door- they come back every year.
xx

Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

Loving your post. THOSE digitals are all BEAUTIFUL ! Such vidbrant colors I and Dad played the Saxaphone. I still have mine but it is need of new reeds. I can't get digitals now 3 printers all a mess printing PINK. HP on the phone 3x one is a new printer..Totally disgusted. Enjoy the little birds, CONGRATS on all your side bar activities. I haven't been in a challenge for awhile but did enjoy them. Have a great week.

crafty-stamper said...

WOW absolutely fabulous journal covers Michelle,love the gorgeous images you used and the added stamps and texture -they look brilliant and fingers crossed for the baby robins.
Carol x

KarinsArtScrap said...

you have made beautiful covers Michelle.......gr karin

Crafting With Jack said...

Beautiful covers and thank you for the link to the Facebook group. Did you print your pages on a laser printer? I would love to have a colour laser printer. Happy WOYWW. Angela #13

Cheryl W. said...

Your journal covers look amazing. Those images are so beautiful with their luxurious colors and lovely details. I love seeing your creations!

Crafting With Jack said...

I can’t see my comment. I am glad I popped back. I love those images - I joined the Facebook group and spent some time looking yesterday and today, but I couldn’t find those images. They will make fabulous covers for your journal. Robins are my favourite bird, it always gives me a lift when I see one. Happy WOYWW. Angela #13

mamawcindy said...

Wow Loving your journal covers, the oriental one is my favorite. Liked the pictures of the birds. I have baby birds in my dryer vent. Waiting for them to leave the nest so that I can use my dryer again. Hope you have a lovely weekend.
cindys-greencricut

Valerie-Jael said...

Your book covers are an absolute dream, I love them. Now you have a very beautiful and unique journal. And lovely that you have robins hatchig, that's a dream. Have a great week, and thanks for your friemdly visit on my blog. I am trying to keep on with blogging, although I don't know how long I will be able to keep it up. I hope a long time1 Hugs, Valerie

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi again. I saw your question about the pop up card, a number of people have shown interested in this. I don't do videos only because it's something I've not got into but I could send you a copy of the instructions as I've written them out for my Craft club. Are you planning to go to the Crop next Saturday as I could explain it to you then. I've joined your followers today too. Hope you've had a good weekend. Hugs Angela x12x

aussie aNNie said...

This looks lovely fresh and bright! Great colour combo, design and stylish x

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

WOW! WOW! WOW! x

Ella - Birthday Card WOYWW #880

I have been making a card for an upcoming family birthday and wanted to use the Ella stamp from BellArt. This is what has been on my desk.  ...