blog backbdrop

Wednesday 29 May 2024

Felted Soap Woyww #782

I thought that I would share something a little different this week that I had a go at making.
After watching Ali Reeve from Stamps Away / Bizzare-ology, demoing on the craft channel how to make felted soap, I thought that I would have a go using some of my wool.


For What's on your workdesk Wednesday (woyww#782) which is now being hosted by Sarah Brennan (Sarah's Craft shed) follow the link if you are interested to see what like minded folk have been up to and here is a link to the original Stamping Ground about WOYWW


Not a riveting  picture of my workdesk! A washing up bowl, a bar mild cream soap, green felting wool and a piece of net curtain.

I started with a small amount of warm water in my bowl. 
2 x a length of felting wool to wrap around the soap. I dampened the soap so that it stuck to the felt as I wrapped it around and then added a little more water when i added the second layer of wool in the opposite direction, wrapping it firmly.

I placed the soap with its wrapped wool in a piece of net curtain, (you could do this with a pair of tights) and twisted it around so I had something to hold onto whilst I rubbed the soap - now in its own little bag with a little more warm water to agitate the wool to matte it together - wet felting.

This took about 5 minutes. I had decided to do another as I had got everything out and I wanted to use different wool to see if there was any difference in the process for me, as not all wool is the same.


For the soap on the left I used a soft fluffy roving wool which seemed to take longer to bind together for this project. I think I made the grey bands a little thick, so I needle felted them into the pink layer a little more. 

Of course I decided not to just leave it there.


I needle felted some little flowers on top of the pink felted soap and as I had a spare piece of green wool, I needle felted a sunflower onto the loose wool and then carefully needle felted it onto my soap.


I did wear disposable gloves when I made these, as I intend to gift one of these. The idea of these soaps is that they are a natural exfoliant and as the soap dissolves, the wool will shrink with it.

A handy gift for a crafter, gardener or just to clean your and exfoliate your hands.
I think I will make a few more of these at some point using just different colours. These were fun to make.

So how has your week been so far?
What have you got planned for the day? Whatever it is, I hope it is a good one for you.



14 comments:

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Hi Michell, I don’t think our paths have crossed before - I’ve been with WOYWW for a long time but had taken a short break. I’ve never heard of felted soaps before but what a great idea! I thought the felt was a wrapping at first but then realised the soap comes through it. Perfect for getting soil out of gardener’s hands (gloves are not my thing lol!). They look really amazing and will make great gifts.
Hugs LLJ 5 xx

Helen said...

I've never heard of felted soaps, but they look very pretty and sound a good idea! Happy WOYWW Helen #2

Sarah Brennan said...

Making quick visits while away as the Wi-Fi is good at the villa. Thanks for joining in and Happy WOYWW. Sarah

crafty-stamper said...

Hi Michelle must admit I thought the felt was a wrapping at first too-but what a brilliant idea and lovely gifts,love the little flowers and sunflower too.
Carol x

Crafting With Jack said...

Well I am really impressed with the felted soaps. I think you will have us all trying one. Happy WOYWW. Angela #11

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

This is a great idea and very useful too, bet you had fun making it. Wishing you a very happy and creative woyww, Angela x10x

Shabneez said...

Ooooooh Michelle I love these! Not seen or heard of these before so I was intrigued as to the process and what they are used for. So pretty and make a perfect gift! Shabneez x

BJ said...

Hi Michelle, I too thought the felt was just a presentation cover but read on to find it stays on, sounds cool, and they look so pretty. I can't use any other soap than baby soap though. Oh and yes I'd like a new body too, think that is reserved for me in heaven now. Hugs BJ#6

Lynnecrafts said...

Your felted soap looks pretty and it’s interesting to read how you made it. Thanks for sharing. I’m also glad you explained how it’s used as I had no idea before b
Happy WOYWW
Hugs
Lynnecrafts 12 xx

Susan Renshaw said...

What super felted soaps - I really intend having a go at felting some time! Just need more time in my life!!
Happy WOYWW! Susan #4

Mary Anne said...

I had a felted soap I got as a gift and always loved the way it acted almost as a washcloth - plus you got to use every bit of it. Great gifts for sure and the way you have done them is really cute!
Happy WOYWW!
Mary Anne (1)

Neet said...

I didn't realise the soap was still inside the felting, how interesting to read all about the process. I am not good at needlefelting figures but I'd love to be able to do them well.
At the caravan so the internet is variable which means I am so late.
Hugs, Neet 3 xx

Spyder said...

Well, I haven't heard of felted soap before, so that's new to me! But I have heard of Felting, cos the lady that helps out in the pet shop makes people's pets, and they are soooo lifelike and beautifully made. I have bought a couple items from her, (not cheep!) but well worth it! I'll have to ask her if she makes felted soaps! Typeing from somewhere else today as I'm away. Happy Late woyww ((Lyn))#14

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

OH! What a clever and new, to me, idea, love the felt around the soap.

Fairy Themed ATCs Woyww #784

Sharing a set of Fairy themed ATC cards made for a craft group monthly swap using the  Gecko Galz   Pixie Dream land digital download Kit. I...