blog backbdrop

Monday 5 March 2018

Springtime Birthday Card

My DT card for the March Blog Challenge  over on  Daisy Chains   is themed  " Springtime "
A birthday card with handmade daffodils.











For my springtime card I used:-
  • Dreamees Flower Showers Stamp Set
  • Tattered Lace Pretty Pearls circle die
  • Crealies square stitched die
  • Rectangle stitched die
  • Versafine Toffee ink pad
  • Dreamees pearls
  • yellow stamens
  • Lemon spotty ribbon
  • yellow cardstock to stamp on
  • Dreamees backing paper
  • mini peg & wooden ladybird
  • cream 6 x  6 scalloped card 


There were a few things in the picture that I chose not to use in the end, one being the swirl die as I had originally intended to use acetate swirls to attach some butterflies but decided the card didn't need anything else added to it once assembled. I also chose the yellow ribbon over the mint gingham.

I have in the past made fuchsia flowers from this stamp set but wanted to show you how versatile this stamp set is and how you can make lovely dimensional daffodils out of them also.

First the flowers. I normally estimate how many flowers I think I will need and then make a few extra as there's nothing worse than assembling your card only to discover that you have not made enough. In this case, I knew that I would only need 5.




I stamped 10 of larger plain flowers to form the outer blooms and 5 of the medium sized defined flower stamps to form the trumpet of the daffodil.  You will also need 2 double ended stamens per flower.  Make a hole in the centre of the smaller flower stamp and one of the larger outer flower shapes for each flower.




Using a ball tool and a foam mat, I shaped the outer flower shapes so that one curled in and the other slightly out. For the smallest flower shape forming the trumpet, curl the flower inwards and then add a little tacky pva based glue (which dries clear - I use cosmic shimmer as it works for everything for me when it comes to sticking) to the edge of one of the petals and slightly overlap, holding it in place until you feel that it has stuck. 










 Do this for each petal working around the flower.  I tend to glue 3 together and then glue the last 2 together. The reason I do this as it gives the trumpet part of the flower a more natural shape.





Fold the stamens in half, twist and thread through the flower shapes.  Once I got this far, I used my hot glue gun. Coil the surplus stamen around and add a little glue to the base of the larger flower shape to keep the stamen in place before adding a little a little more glue to place the last flower shape in place ( hiding any scruffy ends).






Shape your flowers a little once they are all stuck down.




This flower was stamped with Toffee versafine ink and the yellow card was the perfect shade of yellow for the daffodils. I love making these dimensional blooms. All stamped and cut by hand.




Using some green card, I cut out some leaf shapes to create the foliage.

It just a case of planning how you want your card to look and adding all those elements to your card.
I used the stamped sentiment from the Dreamees Flower Shower stamp set and coordinated the backing card.  Adding the matching ladybug and pearls.









A springtime birthday card 







Entered into the following blog challenges:-



Happy Crafting

9 comments:

crafty-stamper said...

Beautiful Spring card Michelle love the gorgeous daffodils and great step by step
Carol x

https://shinebrightandcreate@blogspot.com/ said...

thanks Carol, I love making flowers x

Gwyneth said...

Realy lovely card, and I like the way you've got a photographic step by step of how you made the flowers.
GG

Brawny x said...

Fab cardvx

https://shinebrightandcreate@blogspot.com/ said...

Thank you x

J said...

I have this stamp set and would never have thought of making daffodils! Thank you for the tutorial and thank you for joining us at Crafty Cardmakers this time.

Jackie

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Gorgeous floral card. Thanks for sharing it with us at Crafty Cardmakers and good luck with the challenge, Angela xXx

Tracie said...

Beautiful card. I love your flowers. Thanks for playing along with us at PIP challenges.

https://shinebrightandcreate@blogspot.com/ said...

Thank you x

Bookmark/Tags WOYWW #778

I've  been finishing off some tag/bookmarks this week and I do like a bookmark. I also wanted to use these cool digi images from Polkado...