blog backbdrop

Thursday 26 October 2017

Floating Sauce Boat

There have been many adaptations of The Floating Tea Cup and this is mine...using a sauce boat.
I was in a charity shop when this little white porcelain sauce boat and saucer caught my eye and true to form I wasn't thinking about putting sauce in it.

Thinking about the weight and how I was going successfully suspend the boat in the air, I decided this would make a perfect vessel to pour my flowers out of. 
To make this work you need a small bendable stainless steel spoon, loosely bent into an  S shape.
With the sauce boat I needed to make sure the end of the spoon fit comfortably in the pourer of the boat as it needed to sit flat on the porcelain so that I could get a good base to glue it.  The spoon end needs to sit as flat as possible onto the saucer. 

I used a quick drying araldite rapid glue. With porcelain being porous, I needed to ensure it would stick.  The sticking was the tricky part, as unlike card you are suspending weight which needs to be balanced.

I turned the sauce boat on its side and first stuck the handle of the spoon into the pourer. As it doesn't stick instantly, you'll need to find something to hold it in place whilst you are waiting for both pieces to bond. Only when this stage is done can you move on to sticking the spoon to the saucer.

I found something to sit the sauce boat on so that it wasn't putting any weight on the spoon. I then used enough araldite rapid glue to form a good bond between the spoon and the saucer. If you were using a china cup and saucer you would probably use a few coins stuck to the saucer to weight the saucer down, but my sauce boat was heavier so I raided the nuts and bolts tin (men always seem to have stacks of those) to find something small but weighty Glued this down at the same time.
It will be trial and error to get the right balance.

I left this overnight to set firm. Its very important you have a solid structure. This isn't a project you can rush.

Even though the you wont see the spoon once you have covered it in your chosen decoration, I decided to cover mine in pollyfilla (a cheap version of it) so that if I did leave any gaps, you would not see the spoon...as you can see above.

Now for the flowers. You can use silk, paper or  anything of your choice, but I decided to make mine...and I needed a lot!

I heat embossed my Dreamees Charming Cascade flower stamps in three sizes with gold  glitter Wow embossing powder onto some mars red pearlescent paper by Stamps by Chloe. This pearlescent paper is a good weight and hold flower structure really well. This is my favourite flower stamps from The Dreamees. Its very pretty and has so much detail to it.



I used a ball tool to shape the centre of the flowers and pinched the middle of each petal to give them some shape. Off set the flowers when layering them up. I added pearls in the centre.




I used the smallest flowers in the jug, building up the sizes as they poured out, remembering to put flowers behind the spoon as well. I covered the weights on the saucer next and then built around it trying to make the flowers look as if they were sitting an flopping in the saucer as much as possible....hence why I made enough flowers as you don't want to skimp on flowers.

http://www.dreamees.org.uk/

https://www.chloescreativecards.co.uk/


Dreamees - A Charming Cascade Flower Stamps & Stamps by Chloe - Pearl Paper


I really enjoyed making this and hope you like it too. If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them.

Happy Crafting









No comments:

Bookmark/Tags WOYWW #778

I've  been finishing off some tag/bookmarks this week and I do like a bookmark. I also wanted to use these cool digi images from Polkado...