blog backbdrop

Saturday 24 February 2018

ATC backgrounds using an Acrylic Chalk Mousse Medium


Two Artist Trade Cards made on a Tim Holtz distress oxide ink background with an acrylic chalk mousse medium and angelina fibre dragonflies.







Whilst in Lidl the other day some art stuff caught my eye. This box of pastel acrylic mousse mediums with a chalky finish, looked really interesting.





I had some of the background I made for my heart plaque left which I made using Tim Holtz distress oxides inks in frayed burlap, pickled raspberry, abandoned coral and candied apple.  I thought that this would make an ideal background for the ATCs especially as it also had a chalky finish.





Using a mandala stencil I first used the pastel blue mousse. I have a few craft boards for the various crafting I do, so that I don't get paint, ink and gesso over them all.







This was really easy to use and the mousse settled and dried quite quickly.  I then repeated this process with the lilac as you can see above.










While they were drying I made the dragonflies using some of the angelina fibres and film by Crafty Notion




Using some baking parchment underneath,  make a sandwich with the film (I've used crystal aurora) and the fusible angelina fibres ( I've used sugar plum).




Using a warm iron gentle smooth over the area. I have a small iron I use for crafting and temperatures vary depending on what you use.





It should look something like this, fused together 




On its own it would make a great background but it also die cuts really well. Film & Fibres is one of those craft products you buy for a project and often forget about. When you re-discover it again in your stash you remember just how versatile it is.  I have in the past used my stamps with this and made beautiful iridescent butterflies with it.  Something I will do again and put in a blog post for the future.







Once die cut it makes a beautiful rainbow coloured embellishment.





I used a small amount of the raspberry sparkle angelina fibres under the label Free which I stamped using the same backing paper. I glued the dragonflies and fibres to attach the label with a little pinflair glue gel.



With a parchment tool I pricked the edge of the label





The light catches the wings beautifully







finished off with a few pearls and backed onto some coordinating card.

Entered into:-

Allsorts Challenge

Simply Papercrafts


Happy Crafting



6 comments:

crafty-stamper said...

Beautiful ATCs love the stencilled texture and gorgeous fibre Dragonflies -I have some of this somewhere from years ago tried ironing it onto a stamp-wasn't very impressed will have to try die-cutting it thanks for the inspiration
Carol x

https://shinebrightandcreate@blogspot.com/ said...

Thank very much for your kind comments Carol x

brenda said...

All seems OK now Michell, pretty Dragonflies and you have got me wanting to hunt down my fibres which have not seen light in a long time. Off to reply to your mail now but thanks for joining us at Allsorts challenge.

B x

https://shinebrightandcreate@blogspot.com/ said...

Thank you very much for sorting out the link and your comments x

Gemma Hynes said...

This looks like such a fun technique, thank you for joining us at We Love 2 Create

https://shinebrightandcreate@blogspot.com/ said...

Thank you x

Bookmark/Tags WOYWW #778

I've  been finishing off some tag/bookmarks this week and I do like a bookmark. I also wanted to use these cool digi images from Polkado...